Skip to main content
  
 
Worlds First Small Town Rotary Club     
Founded 1915       
Slideshow
Home Page Scrolling
HomeCommunity Contributions

ROTARY CLUB OF MORRIS

CONTRIBUTIONS THOUGH THE YEARS


The following is an abbreviated list of some of the service projects undertaken by the Morris Rotary over it’s 82 year history.  The list is intended to show the diversity and spirit of the club.

1916      The lighting of Liberty Street.

1916      Established the first Boy Scout Troop in Grundy Co.

1920      Provided funding and led construction of Morris Community Swimming Pool.

1920      Sponsored first Grundy County Boy Scout Camp on the Fox River.

1926      Established the Morris Building and Loan.

1937      Instrumental in establishing the first Rainbow Council Boy Scout Camp and built Trading Post building at the camp.

1938      Sponsored Braidwood Rotary and assisted Wilmington Rotary organization.

1940      Sponsored Sandwich Rotary Club.

1942      Established Morris Youth Center (this was vital to the town during World War II)

1945      Participated in international clothing supply for war torn Europe.

1954      Helped to purchase site of current Morris Fire House (Raising $14,000)

1955      Funded the school milk program.

1955      Sent local high school singing group to international convention in Philadelphia.

1958      Participated in rebuilding of Morris Hospital, establishing and furnishing a Cleric Room.

1966      Established a record lending library at the Morris Public Library.

1974      Placed a color TV at the new Saratoga Towers senior housing center.

1974      Participated in construction and helped to fund the John Roth Lighted Ball Park.

1976      Began tradition of fund raising to support local charities including We Care, Illinois Valley Industries, Boy Scouts, and Girl Scouts.

1977      Directly exchanged students with sister city Tumut, Australia.

1977      Raised $10,800 toward building of intensive care unit at the Morris Community Hospital in John Roth, Sr. name.

1984      Began the “Pinch A Penny” resale store January 14, 1984.

1985      Participated international polio plus campaign to eliminate polio from the face of the earth contributing over $20,000.

1989      Council on Legislation opened Rotary to women, 2 years later Kandi Cossetto and Patricia Hibner became Morris’ first women members.

1989      Established scholarship fund to award scholarships to graduating high School students.

1993      Major influence on the beginning of the “No Tolerance Task Force” against gangs and drugs in our city.

1994      Established INTERACT service club at the Morris Community High School.

1995      Organized and sponsored the Morris area MS Walk.

1997      Built the picnic shelter for the Illinois Valley Industries

Club Awards

1947     Won “Club of the Year” under President Arthur V. Meadows.

1985     Won “Foundation Award” under President Ken Seidler.

1989     Won “Best Club Bulletin” under President Don Bixby.

1995     Won “Club of the Year” under President Chuck Johnson.

 

    

 

Upcoming Events
Upcoming Events